Rats are dirty and scary. You will not have peace the moment they invade your house. In addition to being dirty, they can transmit diseases. This is a pest you do not want in your home. They can also be destructive; they will chew anything they come across. The shock will be on you when you find your important documents and clothes full of holes. If you realize rats in your house, get ways of getting rid of them as soon as possible. This article will guide you through steps on how to get rid of rats. Read on.
Where Do They Live?
This is the first step to a successful removal procedure. Well, rats can be living inside or outside the house. Below are some of the common places you will find rats.
- In the bushes outside your house
- Hiding under wood piles
- In tall grass
- Under or in abandoned cars
- In insulated areas
- Under bathtubs
- Behind or under cupboards
What Attracts Rats?
Rats will not just invade any home. They will come where there is something of interest. In many cases, they are looking for food. Rats feed on, pet food, garbage, dog’s droppings, compost area to mention a few. If they are in the house, they eat any food they come across. Yes, you will find them in boxes and food bags.
How to Get Rid of Rats
- Always keep lids on garbage cans
- Grasses around the house should be trimmed to at least 3 feet
- Pet food and bird seeds should not be easily accessible
- If you have wood, it should be stack 18 inches above the ground
- Avoid piling junk
- Avoid disposing of animal waste in your compost pile
- If you have trees around your house, keep the branches trimmed all year long.
Store food in plastic containers. This makes it hard for the rats to access.
Taking away the hiding space of rats is the surest way to keep them away from your home. They will not have any hiding place, hence cannot stay there.
Taking up the measures discussed above is the best way to keep rats away from home. With a clean house and environment, you will never get cases of rats in the house. If however, you want to get rid of rats as quickly as possible, try traps. If traps do not work, a pest control professional will help.